Wednesday, June 19, 2013

We Just Talking About Practice

Ideally, for an artist the concept of practice is never really over. Mastering one particular piece of your art form opens the door to three new pieces. This had already weighed heavy on my hemispheres when my old lady began chiding me for not honing my passions. Of course, this got under my skin as only the ones that love us most can do. After she detonated the truth bomb, she kissed me and went to bed. This left me alone with my worst nightmare – my inner monologue.

It started with the basics: “Who the fuck does she think she is – trying to lecture me about practice like I’m some new kid with his first instrument? How dare she come at me sideways with all the shit I’ve accomplished? I could teach a goddamn class on my art form.” So after I finished downing that last sip of negativity, a much softer voice came in, “Well, how much time have you spent really polishing your craft? How actively do you pursue other methods to expand your knowledge? How are you gonna chase the greats when you won’t put in the work to be great yourself?”

Now, let me clarify – this is not a pity party. I am one seriously talented brother. I have spent a lot of time, effort, and other peoples’ money to get on the level that I’m at. I think what my angel and my mind were trying to tell me is that the danger is in resting and getting complacent. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly talent can turn to mediocrity and skills can atrophy. We all know the saying, “Use it or lose it.”
I have the great fortune of having an amazing peer network and – considering the well-known statistics of success in my field – most are doing well. We all Facebook stalk and sometimes it’s easy to do the envy dance. “He’s getting all that recognition? My crew totally stole that last show we did together.” The small voice was back, “Well, John, it might be because while you were on Facebook for an hour, your friends were in the studio.” Stupid self-awareness.

My dad used to always say the instrument never lies. He would say it before school, when I sat down to practice, after concerts, and just before I left for college. I knew that those were his words to me to motivate me to put in work, but the words never resonated with me. That is, until some jerk with my best interests at heart reminded me in her own way of my father’s mantra. So now I hear, “You’ve reached a new level. It’s time to buckle down and rock even harder, ‘cause you’re playing in a new league.”

“Your instrument never lies.”


I am truly going to enjoy sharing my truth with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment